district header logo
491 Bond Rd.   |   Minford, Ohio 45653   |   740-820-3002
Minford Logo
Email
Map And Directions

Harrison FreeWill Baptist Church
also known as the "New Church"
12254 State Route 139, Minford, OH

In 1875, the Harrison FreeWill Baptist Church was constructed on its present site.

It was orginally shared by the United Brethern and the FreeWill Baptists on alternate Sundays.  The group joined as one, and was nicknamed the "New Church." 

The church is located 1.3 miles from the intersection in Minford. 

Harrison Bldg 

Harrison Sign    Harrison Fellowship Hall

The building and grounds have improved with time. 

Timeline of church activities: 

1909 - Mrs. Shirley Shuter began as pianoist.  She continued the job until 1975. 

1910 - Frank Minford was appointed Class Leader for the coming year.  Frank was 44 years old. 

1919 - A revival took place and 51 souls were lead to Christ. 

1924 - A Wednesday night prayer service was started. 

1925 - Frank Minford resigned as church treasurer.  He was 59 years old. 

1928 - Electricity was installed.  

1929 - Frank Minford was leader of the Wednesday Bible study.  He was 63 years old. 

1939 -  The grassy area around the building was graveled.  

1941 - A basement was built for a furnace, and the first paid janitors received $4 per month for their services.  The janitors were Paul and Carl Shuter.

1947 -  Additions were built to be used for Sunday School classes.  

1954 - The locust trees on the property were cut down, and the front section of the church was constructed.  

1958 - Russell Milam resigned as pastor after 17 years of service. 

1961 - The side foyer and classrooms were added, and a church board was created.

1962 - Don Williams was the first full-time pastor. 

1974 - Sunday morning Children's Church began. 

1975 - The parsonage was completed. 

1977 - The back Sunday School rooms, office, and basement were constructed.

1984 - The parking lot was blacktopped.

1985 - George and Mildred Combs donated money for a baptistry to be built inside the church.  Until that time, baptisms were held at the "baptizing hole" in Rocky Fork Creek.

1986 - Two and one-half acres of land was purchased across the road from the church for the price of $15,000.   

1991  - Restrooms were added. 

1994 = The Fellowship Hall across the road from the church was completed.

Six men have been recommended for ordination as ministers by the church.  They are:  Russell Milam, Frank Haney, Lowry Wiseman, Eugene Martin, Paul Milam, and Ron Henthorne.  Cathy Crawford was commissioned as a missionary in 1983, and she is serving the Lord in France. 

Photos below that show the progression of the church building were provided by Pat Ladd Smith of Minford:

Harrison FWB 

Frank Minford 

Opal Irwin held the record for perfect attendance.
Ben Wright served as deacon for 27 years. 

Minford Logo
Minford Local Schools
491 Bond Rd.   |   Minford, Ohio 45653   |   740-820-3002
© 2022. Minford Local Schools. Education Software created by eSchoolView
Home of the Mighty Minford Falcons!
Facebook