district header logo
491 Bond Rd.   |   Minford, Ohio 45653   |   740-820-3002
Minford Logo
Email
Map And Directions

Madison Township

Madison was one of the original townships in Scioto County.   It was named for the fourth President of the United States, James Madison.   Thomas M. Bennett and William Bennett were the first settlers of Madison Township.  Other residents who followed were:

George Dever - farmer and stockraiser
Daniel Poole - blacksmith
J. B. Rickey - merchant
J. H. Stockham - merchant and miller 

TOWNSHIP TIMELINE 

1807 - Martin Collings built a grist mill on Brushy Fork.  It was abandoned in 1812.

1824 - John Higgins built a grist mill on the farm of John Wilson.  It was the only horse power mill in the township.  It ran until 1839.

1825 - The first church in the township was organized by Thaddeus Bennett.  It was the Madison Baptist Church.

1831 - Ebenezer Corwin built a saw and grist mill on Rocky Fork.  Corwin ran it for six years, then sold it to Lyons Dodge.  Dodge continued to operate the mill for five years.  The creek washed out the dam, and the mill was abandoned.

1836 -  Madison Baptist Church built a log cabin in which to hold their services.

1840 - John White built a mill on the southeast corner of the township on Rocky Fork.  It was sold several times.  John White sold it to Isaac Wheeler who sold it to William Wheeler.  In 1870 Samuel Wallace purchased the mill, and it became known as Wallace Mill.  It produced flour.  It later was sold to Joseph Stockham.

1867 - The United Brethren Church was organized. 

1868 - Madison Baptist Church built a frame house to replace the old log cabin.  The frame house burned down about 10 years later.

1880 - Fairview Baptist Church was established. 

1881 - Hamilton FreeWill Baptist Church was organized and the building was completed. 

1890 - Madison Baptist Church built a new church in the township. 

1944 - The first volunteer fire department was organized. 

TOWNSHIP TRUSTEES & OFFICERS

1902 Officers:

Thomas Kent, Treasurer
John Alexander, Assessor
 

1902 Trustees:

J. B. Bennett
Samson Shearer
Allen Stockham 

1985 Trustees:

Alton Deemer
Randall Rhoden
Jack Wells 

TOWNSHIP CLERKS 

1902 - J. M. Mohat
1912 - William C. Kallner 
1930 - George P. Bennett

JUSTICES OF THE PEACE

1902 - John L. Samson & J. W. Jenkins 
1937 - Evan Reese & John M. Shaffer

CONSTABLES 

1902 -  J. H. Dewey

SCHOOLS

Madison Township had twelve schools:

 1 - Adams (54 pupils in 1903)
 2 - Fairview (50 pupils in 1903)
 3 - Hard Scrabble (24 pupils in 1903)
 4 - Stockhams (47 pupils in 1903)
 5 - Mt. Carmel (42 pupils in 1903)
 6 - Dewey (44 pupils in 1903)
 7 - Glade (40 pupils in 1903)
 8 - Salem (53 pupils in 1903)
 9 - Mohat's (abandoned before 1903)
10 - White (66 pupils in 1903)
11 - White Gravel (35 pupils in 1903)
12 - Oak Grove (35 pupils in 1903)

TOWNSHIP MAP, 1875 

Madison Map 1875 

Minford Logo
Minford Local Schools
491 Bond Rd.   |   Minford, Ohio 45653   |   740-820-3002
© 2022. Minford Local Schools. Education Software created by eSchoolView
Home of the Mighty Minford Falcons!
Facebook