district header logo
491 Bond Rd.   |   Minford, Ohio 45653   |   740-820-3002
Minford Logo
Email
Map And Directions

Wheeler's Mill


In 1828 The Scioto Mill was erected by Joseph Bennett and Henry Bower.  It started as a sawmill.  Henry Bower became the sole owner in 1831, and he added a grist mill.  It was owned by a number of people after Bower:  Levi Wheeler sold it to John T. Miller and William H. Wheeler in 1881.  Miller soon sold out to Wheeler.  William Wheeler added a saw mill.  It became known as Wheeler's Mill.

At some point, the mill ceased operation.  In November of 1933, the mill was updated by George Wheeler, his son George Jr. and Harry Bennett.  They placed the grist mill in operation again.  They sold their products in Ohio, Kentucky and West Virginia.

 

George Donald Wheeler, Helen Wheeler, and Francile Wheeler swimming in Scioto River at Wheeler's Mill. 

These three were children of George Harrison Wheeler and Cora Davidson Wheeler.

Photo was taken before 1912.

Wheeler's Mill and Bridge with George Wheeler and Fred Brisker pictured in front.

Picture courtesy of Mrs. Ivan Scott

 


Rigrish House next to Wheeler's Mill House

Standing in front of the house are Robert Rigrish, Ida Rose, and Emma McQuade.

Picture courtesy of Mrs. Ivan Scott

The Rigrish House is no longer standing.  It was located on State Route 335 next to the Mill House.

 

The Mill House as it looked from the Wheeler's Mill Bridge.

 

This is a side view of the Wheeler's Mill Dam.

Photo courtesy of Vic Knore

 

Picture courtesy of Lorena Smith Fisher, granddaughter of Levi Wheeler.

 

Wheeler's Mill located on what is now State Route 335.  The dirt road in front of the mill ran all the way to Sciotoville.

Picture courtesy of Mrs. Ivan Scott

 

Wheeler's Mill Dam on the Little Scioto River.

Picture courtesy of Mrs. Ivan Scott

 

Wheeler's Mill House (Still standing, 2003)

Picture courtesy of Mrs. Ivan Scott

The Mill House, which was home to the Wheeler family that operated the mill, is still standing (2003) on State Route 335 across from Wheeler's Mill Road.  At the time of this writing, the house is owned by Duane Skaggs and looks much the same as it did when the Wheelers lived here.

 

 

Minford Logo
Minford Local Schools
491 Bond Rd.   |   Minford, Ohio 45653   |   740-820-3002
© 2022. Minford Local Schools. Education Software created by eSchoolView
Home of the Mighty Minford Falcons!
Facebook